I grew up doing alot of fishing and used to chew on the lead weights regularly(don't ask why, I couldn't tell you, maybe the consistency). Anyways, with the exception of the 11th toe and short tail, I think I turned out pretty normal. :)

Tim

From: "Andrew E. Mileski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: RCSE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [RCSE] lead scare
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:43:14 -0500

JIM EALY wrote:
Guys:

Lead is dangerous mostly to children.

This does not mean lead is safe for adults though!

Children are at a higher risk from lead for several simple
reasons.  Something to keep in mind when casting in your home.
 - Children (especially under the age of 6) are still
   developing their nervous systems.
 - Children have a lower body mass, resulting in higher
   concentrations.
 - Lead tends to accumulate in the body.
 - Children can be exposed to sources that adults wouldn't
   normally.

Adults experience similar symptoms to children when exposed,
including a few others (like reproductive and high blood
pressure).

Low concentrations are LESS LIKELY to produce symptoms, but
this isn't a guarantee of safety (Russian Roulette anyone?
You are less likely to shoot yourself with only one bullet.)

I have to deal with public CHEMIPHOBIA
everyday. I am a chemist and my brother and father (84 years old)were
plumbers. Most!! plumbers who regularly breathed lead fumes, etc. live to ripe
old healthy ages.

This is your entire argument for lead being harmless to adults?

You do know that using lead on plumbing isn't allowed anymore,
right?

Pleas be
reponsible when reporting how dangersous a substance is. UNLESS you have a
degtee in industrial safety, then you would not be scaring everyone. Sonething
called a MSD sheet is available on line for most substances and you can seejust
how toxic something is.

Responsible?!?! Do you read your own messages?

Check out the Agency For Toxic Substances And Disease Registry (part
of the CDC):
  http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/
The Environmental Protection Agency
  http://www.epa.gov/
And many others.

Google searches on
 lead adults
are most informative, as are adding words like
  fumes vapour breathing inhalation dust

I'd be interested to read any medical article showing that lead
exposure is harmless to adults.

--
Andrew E. Mileski

Check out MSN PC Safety & Security to help ensure your PC is protected and safe. http://specials.msn.com/msn/security.asp