While overstating the risk doesn't help it is
dangerous to understate the risks.

LiPo are MUCH more sensitive to mistreatment than
other battery types. Overcharge, over discharge and
physical damage that 'might' damage a NiCad pack can
'easily' cause a fire with LiPo.

They are NOT an instant disaster but they DO require
more care than other batteries.

Just like flying.
Flying is safer than driving NOT because it is inherently
safer but because people who fly (and those who maintain the planes)
know they cannot just pull over to the side of the road when there
is a problem so they ARE MORE CAREFUL.

Another example,
When I use a soldering iron I take precautions to keep from
starting a fire. I keep paper and other items that will burn
away from the iron and I don't leave it on if I am not there.

When I use a propane torch I am even more careful.

When I use a welder I take lots more safety steps because the
metal I welded can start a fire for a considerable time after
I stop welding.

Being TOO careful is much less expensive than not being careful
enough.

michael AMA 77292  N6CHV