Hi Brent,

I am using Futaba S3103( 3106 or 3107, they are all the same and very similar to Hitec HS55 ) on the ailerons of my 1.5m all-molded mini Corado sloper. Never had any problem in flight or launching with strong Hi-start but the aileron servos ALWAYS strip if the plane hits the ground hard enough on the nose. No ! the wing didn’t touch the ground in the process but both aileron servos would strip. I guess the servo gears are not strong enough to withstand the momentum of the ailerons during impact. As the ailerons of this plane also function as spoilers, the required aileron throw is larger than usual so the push rods have to be hooked to the outer holes of the servos arm. I believe that’s the cause of the problem. The same type of servos are used on the ailerons of my 1.5m Omega HLG and despite the fact that it’s tail boom has broken twice in nose-first landing, the aileron servos survived the impact. This is probably due to the more flexible wing structure of this plane and the fact that the aileron pushrods are hooked closer to the servo’s output shaft.

Y C Lui

"Douglas, Brent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm taking a Spirit Elite (kit version) out of mothballs, and I'm rewiring /
replacing servos in the wing. I had a pair of HS-81s for the ailerons, but
I was going to replace those with the little HS-55s.

My question is this: is that too little servo? I don't plan on sloping
with this, just flatland flying, from a winch. If I only use flaps for my
launch mode, will this be enough to keep the ailerons working (as opposed to
stripping these servos on the launch)?

I don't fly this ship much, and I had the 55s - just don't want to tempt
fate too much by not giving it enough servo. Opinions?

Thanks,
Brent

Do You Yahoo!?