At 02:32 PM 4/23/2004, you wrote:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 10:04:36AM -0700, Joe Parsons wrote:

| I'm building my second Omega HLG (wore out the first one).
|
| This one will have a Hitech Electron 6 Rx instead of the 555 I used in the
| other HLG
|
| For aesthetic reasons, I'd like to avoid the excess wire trailing out the
| fuse.
|
| I've thought about just coiling the full length of the antenna wire on a
| balsa shaft in the fuse, but I'm wondering whether there are other reliable
| approaches.

I've got an Omega HLG, and I didn't have to do anything special with
the antenna -- it just fit.  Your standard 1/4 wave 72 mhz antenna is
almost exactly one meter long, and there should be plenty of room in
the fuse to just run it from the front to the back.  I've seen 72 mhz
receivers with shorter antennas (probably having a loading coil
inside) but never one with a longer antenna.  Are there any?

We are talking about the same plane, right?

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=16

Yep, that's the one.

You might have to put the receiver farther forward than you might
otherwise, or mount it where you want to and the run the antenna
forward for a little and then back to the tail, but there should be
plenty of room for it.

Hmm. I also have a Min-Ellipse, which is close to the same size, and there are several inches dangling out of the back. But, now that I think of it, I may have installed the Rx further aft than in the Omega.

Doubling the antenna back on itself for a few inches will indeed
reduce range, but not by a large amount if you only do it for a few
inches.

Well, if the Electron is anything like the 555, range is certainly not an issue.

But whatever you do, do not just cut the antenna and shorten
it -- making it shorter than 1/4 wavelength will greatly reduce range.
It's much better to just leave it the same length and coil up a small
part of it, the less the better.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Joe Parsons

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]            Can't sleep ... clowns will eat me.