From: Andrew E. Mileski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 2:35 PM
To: RCSE
Subject: Re: [RCSE] foam cutter DC vs AC

Oscar Taboada wrote:

> I am preparing myself to cut foam wings, I have read on some articles that
> it could be  dangerous to use AC and a dimmer to regulate current and
> heat... it also says that it could be so dangerous to use a 12 V car
> battery. but such articles doesn't explain why.

Use a transformer to provide isolation from the mains, and to work
with a lower voltage.  Here's a wiring example:
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/tools/joedydruliafoamcutterps.htm
Make sure the dimmer can handle inductive loads (motors, like fans).
Don't forget a fuse!

A car battery can provide an awful lot of current when shorted, so
a fuse is necessary.  To adjust the temperature, you need a variable
load resistor, which gets very hot.  Make sure not to let the voltage
on the battery drop too low (keeping it on charge works).

It is possible to use an automotive lead-acid charger in start/manual
mode with a light dimmer powering it.  Though this won't work with all
chargers and dimmers.

--
Andrew E. Mileski