Jon Stone wrote:
I sense a business opportunity for Mr. Mileski. ;)

Sorry, I don't have a source for Profi or Hitec transmitter crytstals.

Around here, JR radios are common, and finding a transmitter crystal
for one is not a problem.  I have 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, and 36
(my radio came with 33); I'm not selling them either.

It's sad that the rest of the world gets punished for silly U.S.
regulations, that even Americans can't agree on the interpretation
of.  Too bad the AMA has put their support on the nay side.

FWIW, somewhere I have a letter from the Canadian regulators, and
it basically states they don't give a damn what low power users (under
1 Watt) do, as long as they don't interfere with licensed users.
There are very few licensed users in the 72 MHz band, and most of
those are legacy users; there hasn't been new licenses issued in that
band in many years.  The letter states that as long as the crystals
are user accessible (intended to be swapped), and available from the
manufacturer, its okay to swap.

The U.S. has much more crowded airwaves, but they still could use
a category for low power users like Canada has.

--
Andrew E. Mileski