I dunno about that. Check out this flight:
http://www.jeklink.net/graphics/davis_boomer_alt.jpg
http://www.jeklink.net/graphics/davis_boomer_color.jpg

Majortomski wrote:

And the three miles comes from a belief, to answer your question that
our effective range is around a mile and a half. So doubling that
between fields was to guarantee that mile and a half. And except for a
giant/ quarter scale model I doubt most folks can see a model to
control it at more than a half mile. This from a fly away experiance. we couldn't figgure left from right of the little spec of a 40 size
trainer. We found it 1/2 mile from the pilot station