Hi folks,

Unfortunately, I was dumb enough to bend the second-last segment on my
Becker antenna when I bent down to pick up my sailplane on the weekend.
I didn't even notice that I'd done it until I got back to the car...oh
well.

After noticing that the telescoping sections appeared to be brass, I
stripped the paint off the bent (now snapped) sections, and straightened
the tube with an awl and a piece of music wire that fit the inside
diameter. After finding a piece of brass that nested inside the
previously-bent sections, I snipped off a section less than 1/4" long,
and soldered the antenna back together using the tube as an internal
splint/stiffener.

A little paint should have it back looking as good as new, with the only
lasting damage being that the tip section only collapses about halfway
now. Any chance my repair has (significantly) changed the behaviour of
the antenna? I can range check using a friend's undamaged antenna just
to be safe, but I'm sort of curious what the effect would be from an
academic standpoint. Any thoughts?

FWIW - I really missed having the antenna when I went out again the next
day. I'd forgotten how much of a pain it is to fly with those stock
antennas!

Cheers,
Adam

Adam Till