our border collie goes up to the neighbors 20 acre mowed field with my husband whenever he is testing out a new plane.  she enjoys every aspect of watching the hi-start launch, the umbrella coming down, doesn't try to grab it, as my lab would.... she just watches the whole process and as the glider moves around the sky, she takes it as her job to watch every move it makes as it may mean "harm" to her master.  those of you old enough to remember "Lassie"....  this dog acts a bit like that ........cool.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2004 8:57 AM
Subject: [RCSE] A dog that loves watching HLG

Today I went to the local (mainly power) club's field to fly DLG. There is a nice field of mowed hay on the other side of the parking area from the power field. There were two guys evidently intending to fly power but mostly talking. As I pulled in and got out of my car the dog of one of the guys, a big, dark brown mutt of uncertain breed but of nasty _expression_ and temper (the dog, not the guy), ran toward me barking and growling. I ignored him and went over to talk with the guys and the dog's owner told the dog to behave. It quieted down a bit but kept eyeing me with suspicion. After the usual pleasantries I got out my plane and began to fly it at the mowed field. "Looks like discus throwing," the guy with the dog said. "You should try out for the Olympics." Right.

As soon as I started to fly, the sun disappeared behind a large cloud. After flying for a while in lousy lift, thus getting a lot of launches in, I discovered that the dog, always disinterested in power planes according to his owner, was very interested in dlg flying. He would sit some yards away between the cars and watch me launch and fly. The reason I noticed this was because after a while when I would not relaunch right away he would start barking, and if I delayed too long, evidently by his standards, he would run over toward me barking insistently. Then when I would get ready to launch he would back off and sit on his haunches to enjoy (I guess) the launch and flight (and occasional hand catch, no doubt).

Bye and bye his owner, who had parts of a plane out on one of the cable spools used as tables, but never got it put together, took notice, and began to enjoy his dog enjoying the hlg entertainment. He said he'd never seen anything like it, but was unlikely to take up dlg just to entertain his dog, which he said anyway had a kind of nasty disposition.

In due time the battery in the plane needed charging. I set it charging and went to talk with the guys. The dog came along to insist that I get back to flying the plane. He barked at me and looked toward the plane, then at me, then ran toward the plane as if to tell me I should get back to the business of entertaining him. His owner was amazed.

Unlike this dog, other dogs that show up where I usually fly near my house in town want to chase and try to catch my hlg. I've had planes suffer bite marks. So this dog was a welcome change from the usual.

What goes on in a dog's consciousness is a mystery to me, but it would sure be interesting to know. That and what it takes for a dog to worry sheep (sorry--shameless reference to an article in an upcoming RCSD).

Al Nephew
Duluth, MN