I feel for you Pat. Fortunately the Extreme you just sent me got here just
fine!

As a shipper of quite a few models a year I have used all the shipping
services and have had problems with each of them at one time or another. The
bummer is that it was usually my fault for not packing the planes so that a
gorilla could step on, toss and otherwise mangle the package while still
protecting the contents.

Then, when there is a problem, the services are loathe to pay out. SOP has
them deny every claim and you have to fight for payment. This can take hours
of time. Too  much hassle.

So, a year and a half or so ago, I decided to cut my risk significantly. I
use the services of a local Mail n More to ship all my new planes as well as
any bigger, expensive used ship.

I had them get me custom made, 300lb test double wall tray style boxes. This
kind of box gives you 4 layers of corrugated material on the sides of the
box. The shipper also lines the sides and top with Styrofoam. It would be
REALLY hard to bend one of these boxes. They cost about $25 bucks but the
protection is well worth it.

The plane is packed in a way that it is completely immobile in the box. This
effectively has them shipping a solid piece. I'd be real surprised if any
plane they pack ever gets damaged. I think anyone out there who got an Opus
or Wizard from me over the past year or more can attest to the excellent job
of packing these guys do.

The other benefit of using a professional service is that it is their baby
if something goes wrong. They get to spend the time dealing with damage
claims and I'll bet they get better treatment than an average Joe shipping a
plane himself.

The only downside to using a professional is cost. It costs me between $80
and $90 to ship an Opus including the box, packing materials, packing labor
and shipping cost. I eat about $30 per shipment so I can remain competitive
with some of the other guys out there but I think the cost is well worth the
excellent job and the fact that if there is ever a claim to be made I won't
have to spend my time trying to get paid. Besides when you are sending a
$700 to $1400 airplane this is really not too much to pay for getting the
model to the buyer intact!

--
Greg Smith
Slope Soaring Resource

US distributor for Wizard Compact II, Opus DS V, Airtech models and Leos
Svoboda models.