For those that care, here is how this was finally resolved.

Following Don Peters general advise:

1. Constructed new baseplate and towhook as follows:
a. New baseplate constructed from 1/2" x 1/8" steel from Home Depot.
Drilled and tapped for the 8-32 holddown screw.  Drilled 3/16" hole for new
towhook.
b. Bent new towhook using 3/16" steel from home depot using vise and hammer.
Cut and sized to protrude below the fuselage just enough to get the towhook
on.
c. Welded the hook onto the plate forming a single solid unit.
d. Put some sticky sandpaper on the bottom of the baseplate for friction
2. Using a long-reach grasping tool ( the long springy thing with fingers
that extend when you push the plunger on the end - used for picking up small
parts in small places) I slid the hook down thru the fuse from the opening
where the receiver goes.
3. Using a small thin screwdriver, I jammed it in the connector opening in
the top of the fuse and down into the slot for the towhook, using that angle
for leverage I compressed the ballast tube to the side.  Don was right - it
will compress a lot.
4. Twisting the grasping tool I maneuvered the tip of the towhook near the
slot, but the ballast tube keeps it from turning and dropping in.
5. I took a very thin piece of music wire and looped it down into the slot -
grabbing the hook - then while pulling on the wire and twisting the hook I
managed to get the tip of the hook out of the slot - but still not twisted
enough to drop in.
6. With a pair of needle nose vice grips I grabbed the tip of the hook and
pulled while trying to jam the plate past the ballast tube from the top with
a screwdriver.
7. Finally success and the plate dropped under the tube and into place. -
snugged it down with the 8-32 screw and good to go.

The new hook seems very solid.  I'm happy and back in business.

Thanks for all the other suggestions - they were next if this didn't work
out.
Jim

Jim Monaco
Rocky Mountain Soaring Association