My question is on a 6 channel radio channel 5 is generally reserved for
"GEAR" and most all receivers channel 5 is not proportional (maybe I'm off
base here).  So how do we program a 6 servo wing?  Flaps on a "Y" adapter?

I haven't fiddled around with a 6 channel radio so I would appreciate some
feedback as to how to do this with such a radio.
Up until now you couldn't use a 6 channel TX on a full house plane without putzing around with Y connectors.  So the answer to you is you can't...not until you get the new Optic 6 TX from Hitec.

Gordy