-----Begin Original Message-----
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:06:12 -0400
From: Jay Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: What are airfoil polars and how do I read the charts?

I have Profili and it lists polars as one of its great features.  What
are they, how do I read them, and what do they tell me?

Thanks,

Jay Hunter

----- End Original Message-----

Jay, unfortunately you have asked a question which will take several text
books to explain.  Many people (aeronautical engineers etc) go to colleges
just to better understand airfoil polars...  *smile*

I will try to give a *SHORT* explanation without going into lengthy details:

An airfoil polar represent the aerodynamic characteristics of an airfoil.
This is usually represented as a graph showing lift vs. drag coefficients,
lift vs angle of attack, and lift vs pitching moment. An airfoil is placed
in a wind tunnel, and lift, drag, pitching moment and angle of attach
measurements are taken at various wind speeds and calculated as the local
Reynolds number. As a general rule of thumb (gross exaggeration) you want to
minimize the drag for a given lift coefficient.  As is the case in
aeronautics in general, there are always tradeoffs.  When an airfoil has a
good lift vs drag value at one point, it may be bad at another, etc. etc.
etc.  The "trick" is to find an airfoil which has the desired
characteristics at the important phases of flight for which it is intended
to be used.  E.g. a trainer airfoil might have a high lift coefficient,
"higher" drag coefficient (to make it fly slower or come down faster), low
pitching moment and benign stall.  But a F3B racer might have a lower lift
coefficient (a high lift coefficient is not needed as much as it flies
faster)but a very low drag coefficient at "racing" speeds.  In another
example, with a tailless flying wing you want very little moment so that the
wing does not tuck under at flying speeds...  etc etc. etc.

Makes sense?

Regards,

Cameron Ninham
Email: cpn66 at hotmail dot com