Wow Gordy, an insightful post. Although, you'll get
slammed on a couple of your "insights". I'm not going
to go there.

I recall standing on the edge of a hill, flying my 2M
Sig Riser, and this guy came up to me and said...
"Hey, you should bring that thing to Pasadena this
weekend. We're having a contest."

"A contest? What do you do?"

"Well, we have these timed tasks. You launch, fly a
predetermind amount of time, and land on a spot. But
it's so much fun to compete..."

"Compete?" I said. "Why would I want to do that? I
just want to fly..."

Hmmmmmm.........