> Meanwhile, the conventional wisdom seems to be you can't launch flying wings
> as high as conventional tailed designs, assuming identical conditions. The
> reason is the high alpha (angle of attack) in a histart or winch launch requires
> you to crank in so much up-elevon, you ruin the efficiency of the wing's
> airfoil.

This is not really true, certain elements CAN be true, but it isn't
the prime reason that causes flying wings to misbehave on a highstart.
I have done a lot of experimenting with respect to winch and highstart
launching of wings and in my opinion, the main reason for difficulty
lies in the fact that there is no tail moment to dampen the sudden
high AOA rotation when you let go of the wing.
The fact that you aren't throwing it into the launch compounds this
condition, so you end up with a wing that is essentially in a flat spin
on a horizontal plane. The wing rotates so quickly that it is completely
stalled. The same thing happens to a lesser degree with scale ships
that have the hook on the bottom of the fuselage which can be
over 5" lower than the wing.
The fix for the scale ship is to throw it (if possible), mount hooks
up near the wings and use a bridal, or let it rise off the ground.
None of these are really possible with the wing, BUT there is one
thing I found that works well although I would be hesitant to do this
with a fragile plane like a Klingberg.
I put my thumb in the right stick well so it causes about 1/8"
of down elevon relative to it's normal trim.
This will vary depending on the plane and you could set
it up on a launch preset. When you let the plane go, it wont try to rotate
as quickly. You pull your thumb out just about as fast as you can think
about it. I would say no more than 1 second after releasing the wing.
This give it enough airspeed to actually achieve a laminar flow before
it rotates, then they tend to go up very well.
You can do a rise off the ground if you put a foam bumper on the end of the line
to prop the front of the wing up. If you don't do this, it will drag along the
ground for a long way..... Don't ask me why I know about this..........

Mark Mech
www.aerofoam.com