> If you get a chance, go on out and cheer the guys on.
> Or offer up your services and help out on the sighting
> device, or timing, or where ever you can lend a
> hand.... You will see some flying like you have never
> seen before. That Joe guy flying distance.... or DZ's
> thumbs of silk in the speed task... or for those of
> you who think F3B models don't thermal... check these
> guys out... 10 minutes at 8:00 in the morning....piece
> of cake... Just the visual of a good launch off of
> mono is worth the price of admission... (Yeah, I
> know... it's free) But it's cool anyway. ;-)

Cost of gas from home to Muncie and back = $50
Four nights lodging in Muncie = $175
Eating in high-class Muncie restaurants :) = $120
Trinkets at the AMA museum shop = $36
Supplies at the LHS = $44
Watching those awsome launches = priceless
Talking with contestants = priceless
Standing at Base B and knowing that I had the power to cause an airplane to
turn at the push of a button :) = priceless
Standing at Base A and timing planes through the speed run = priceless
Watching planes land and slide along the tape to a stop = priceless

I've read/heard a lot about F3B but had never seen it up close. When I heard
that the Team Selection was being held at Muncie, I decided to volunteer my
services. What better way, I reasoned, than being on the front lines.
Everything Daryl said is 100% correct; these men and women are great and
they put one hell-of-a-show! If you live in the area and didn't come out to
volunteer/observe, shame on you! :) You missed a great show and the
opportunity to rub shoulders with some really great people. A bone-headed
mistake on my part provided a contestant with at least one opportunity to
grumble, and yet not a foul word was uttered. These contestants are, to a
person, a truely classy group of people; they are *all* winners regardless
of where they finished. Best wishes to the trio representing the USA at the
World Championships.

And oh, yeah, I can't resist; those ugly devices used to rapidly
deaccelerate a plane are not allowed in FAI and yet they still were able to
determine a winner! :) Sailplanes with smooth bottoms, ya gotta love 'em. :)

Bob Johnson
Fond du Lac, WI