One critical note on teaching technique when using a trainer cord:

If effective learning is the goal, it's VITAL that the teacher always use
consistent verbal cues when giving control to the student, but even MORE
importantly when  TAKING BACK control from the student. As the teacher, if
you're trying to let the student fly to their limit, this can be hard to
remember to do, since you'll tend to concentrate on taking over just in time
to "fly the rescue". But especially when 'flying the rescue' you must give a
clear verbal cue that is timed exactly with your moment of takeover.

WHY IS THIS SO IMPORTANT?
Because for the student there is essentially NO other indication that you
have taken over control. They may continue to move the stick and think they
are getting the results that in fact you are getting for them.

This perception: thinking they were in control when they weren't is
corrosive to the learning process. The student can too easily perceive that
they have flown a brilliant save, only LATER to find out that it was you
doing the saving and not them.

This leaves the student with the task of trying to "de-program" what they
thought was a success. When exactly did you take over? Did they fly part of
the save, but not the end of it? would the moves they made even have been
helpful? Who knows?. MUCH easier if they just get a clear cue at the moment
that their own stick motions 'no longer count'.

Anything that you both agree on is fine, and saying anything is better than
nothing. but the clearest and quickest words the instructor might use are
probably:

"YOURS!" when giving control over to the student
and
"MINE!" at the exact moment of taking control back

If you're like me, you'll find it's a non trivial task as a teacher to be
completely consistent with this, but it's very important to try.

Hope this is helpful.

Lift,
Scobie at Liftworx
www.liftworx.com

PS: The necessity for this rather fussy discipline in using a trainer cord
could be completely eliminated if the manufacturer would simply couple a
"BEEP" sound to the pressing and releasing of the trainer button/switch. Are
there any brands that have figured this out? I'm sure a good electrics guy
could probably add that in. A little beyond me, but I'm going to consider
asking someone to do it for me. I do a lot of two-box training.

Can anyone give me the quick idiot's guide to using a trainer cord?  Do you
have to trim both radios to match, do they both need all the same mixing set
up (eg, elevon, etc)?  Is it considered "safer" to pull the crystal from the
trainer box?

He's planning on using his regular Hitec radio and an older Flash that he
has lying around.

Brother is trying to get my nephew flying, just want to do my part to help
them out.

Thanks,
Brent
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
MIME turned off.