Ah, yes, the ever pervasive "landing contest" discussions, with the elusive "better format" which can't seem to be found. It's confounded by a couple of simple facts. (1) different strokes for different folks, and those that are dissatisfied aren't finding the contest to match their 'stroke'. (2) The pilots and the competition develop to the point where you have to look for hair-splitting factors to decide a 'winner'. (Thus, landings come into play as it's the only other objective measure we have available).

I haven't heard *anybody* say they go to a contest because they enjoy 'flying' (those guys just go out and fly alone or with 1 or two friends on a lazy weekend day. In fact, many of those guys state they stay AWAY simply because of that). Many say it's for social interaction with your brethren, (and the format really doesn't seem to bother these guys, they'll fly whatever whenever and have a good time just in hanging out with each other). And many (like myself) are out for the kill ... er, I guess that would be competitive "my skills against your skills" (and in the competitive arena, everything matters, pilot, plane, radio ... particularly at the top level, as it DOES take hair-splitting measures to figure out who's the best .... this week!) (but I wouldn't know about that!)

I don't know of a format that would *really* shake things up as to make it exciting for everyone. Give the killers their way, and the newbies are lucky to be flying on the same field. Make it competitive for the newbies, you have to remove some of the 'hair-splitting' factors, so you limit airframes (only wood???), limit performance factors (in/out landings? short lines?), limit whatever, and the killers become disgruntle because they don't get to use their hair-splitting advantage, and get bored.

*I* think answer (can't believe I'm going to say this) is to diversify. I was bored with the same ol' same old at the local contest, until I started to travel to other local contests and encountered 'different' formats. That made it more fun. Even our own local format became more fun, as it became 'different' than the rest. Then, when the local circuit started to become somewhat ho-hum, moving onto the regional circuit again spiced up everything.

You see, I think the biggest strike against any one 'contest' is it tends to be the same over and over, and for those who choose not to travel (or can't travel) to get some diversity, it becomes mundane and you start to lose interest. The clubs should be open to different formats, and change it regularly. You'll find some formats that worked well, others that didn't, but there certainly are enough options out there to make it interesting to virtually everyone at some point in time.

So, all this discussion on 'this is better than that' or 'why can't we do this'? Well, for the first point, try it and find out! For the second, there's no reason you can't, if you're willing to input a little energy into helping make the change.

I'm working to become a CD in our area, because I want to try some different formats, and I've heard some good ideas out there. In fact, I'm organizing an impromptu 'contest' this upcoming weekend, just to try out a format that only a select few have had the opportunity to enjoy. No trophies, just bragging rights before winter shuts down the 'thermal' season.

You know, this group of soaring enthusiasts, to me, have been the greatest people I've ever encountered. Nice, interesting, willing to give you the servo out of their wing so you can keep going. I've never participated in any sport/hobby that had nearly as great personality as this group of flyers. That being said, we do have one shortcoming I've observed. We tend to be a bit lazy, and want things delivered to us, rather than having to work to make it happen. This isn't everyone, in fact it's barely the majority, but it seems to be the (growing) majority. I don't know of a single place where it's not just one or two (or 5) people who really keep it going for the other 10, 20, or 200! Yea, we all pitch in on occasion. I think it makes us feel better, 'cause we know that it really wasn't much work. And I think we're all very thankful for the guys that grunt it out doing most of the work. But generally, someone else will tend to the problem.

Throw out your ideas, volunteer to help get them implemented. Try something different, and analyze the results. You don't have to do the same thing over and over if you really don't want to.

Whew! And you guys thought the posts on Icons was a bunch of drivel. I think I've become the drivel master! Flame away, but send it directly to me. Let the list move on! I want to hear Joe's story!

(ohhhh...postman says my 9303 is here!!!! I think I'll take the rest of the day off!)

-Les Grammer
-NWSS