From: Jim Porter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 4:05 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [RCSE] The SHORTENED Runway

War stories:

My father related this incident about a takeoff in a fully loaded B-17 about
to embark on mission forty-something over Europe.  He was lead in the second
group to take off and was well into the takeoff roll when a gas truck,
apparently thinking either everyone had left or that he had sufficient time,
started to cross the active runway.  Things were definitely not looking good
when my father jammed full down elevator, compressed the gear, hauled back
on the yoke and literally bounced over the gas truck.  They left the
tailwheel somewhere behind them on the runway after it hit the gas truck.
The brief contact with the gas truck and the subsequent touchdown did enough
damage to the tail cone that they did not make that mission.

My father also had  DFC, but I have no idea what it was for as he rarely
talked about his actual combat experiences.

He did, however, rather enjoy relating the fun stories.  One of which was
that occasionally they could find an excuse for a check flight.  After
fueling, they'd load up with the fixin's for ice cream, climb high enough to
freeze the mix, make the ice cream and then quickly land and share with the
other flight and maintenance crews.  I think these were the things that
provided the comic relief that enabled them to cope with what they
experienced over Europe.

regards,

Jim Porter, soon to be Johnston Iowa
Neckargemund-Dilsberg
Germany

"The airplane stays up because it doesn't have the time to fall."
     Orville Wright

message and its attachments and notify Space Imaging immediately.