This thread reminded me of a joke I heard long ago, about the moron pilot in
the UPS 727. The 727 was specially designed for short runways, which made it a
useful small commuter and light cargo plane for smaller airports.  Anyhow,
they're on approach to a new airport they've never landed at before, and from
way back, the pilot is nervous about how short the runway looks. He keeps asking
for more and more flap, and when he crosses the concrete, he has ALL the
boards out, engines full power reverse, and brakes locked and tires burning. They
come to a stop in a cloud of dust and smoke, and the pilot looks out the
canopy, marveling: "MAN, that was the shortest runway I ever landed on!"

Co-Pilot (looking left and right) : " yeah, but it SURE is WIDE. Like a
quarter-mile."

I know, you saw it coming  a long way off, but I still liked it;-)