I installed an RDS system on the ailerons of my Icon. They are rock solid and smooth. I used Walt Dimmick's (sp?) parts that are machined to high tolerance and give a slop free fit.

It's a bit scary carving a space for the RDS pocket in that expensive aileron, but not too hard once you've figured it out. I spent a few hours on the first aileron, about 45 minutes on the second. I wanted to have a smooth wing bottom and asked Don Peters to not install any of the control clevis'. I made up a document that Don has and I can send as an email if I don't get swamped. I used the 30 degree bend and shaft straight back, no other modification to wing needed. Craig Greening mounts and it's tight, slick and easy to replace a servo if needed. JR168's drive it, thin and sweet.

I used the typical euro, top actuated, bottom hinged system for the flaps. It kept everything inside and a smooth wing bottom, but Gordy's right it is a bit squishy as a system. I tried to stiffen it up with 4-40 threaded rod, soldered to heavy links. It's the nature of the geometry I guess. I agree with Harley though, if I were to try another way it would be to install an RDS given how well it works in the ailerons. Having said that, it seems to work fine, no sense of flutter at any speed and I'm not sure I'd notice much difference with a tighter system.

Harley may feel a bit frustrated about folks not using the RDS system. I'm grateful for his work to bring it to other modelers. It is a bit more work, but IMHO worth it.

Barry Andersen
Cincinnati Soaring Society

PS come to the pumpkin fly on October 16 -17 and see the wing for yourself. <grin>