Ok, not strictly involving sailplanes, but still, some amazing gliding (and
flapping) flight:

This morning in cloudy light rain and high winds, I watched out my window
here in Seattle the following scene: an extremely tightly bunched flock of
smallish black birds (grackles?... something a good bit smaller than crows,
and quite fast) perhaps 50-60 of them in a sort of big elastic 'sphere'.
They were flying amazingly tight formation and veering and changing
direction with incredible speed and unity... then I noticed that the reason
for their tight-formation semi-aerobatics was that they were, as a group,
harassing a red tailed hawk. I've seen one, two three and four birds all
teaming up to give a raptor a hard time, but 60??? And they weren't doing
the 'taking turns diving on the hawk' thing... they were acting as a single
attacking mass... it was incredible to watch. Totally a new one on me, and
just fascinating. The hawk was clearly losing, and really trying pretty
hard, it seemed, to just get AWAY.

I watched, riveted, until they went out of my field of view.

Then an hour later I was talking on the phone, and happened to look out the
window, and saw the whole show repeated AGAIN, only this time it was a bald
eagle they were ganging up on. A half hour later, I saw it again, with the
same or perhaps a different eagle. It was as if they formed a new sport,
designated the neighborhood that slopes above Gasworks Park as the playing
field, and scheduled three games in a row for Saturday morning.

I've been watching birds for what I thought was a long time, but I've
decided to quit thinking I won't regularly see something new.

Lift,
Scobie at Liftworx
www.liftworx.com