Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
Paul Breed wrote:

 From Time to time I post info on my solar powered RC plane here.

Today it flew very well and is also a total loss....

What a trajedy :(

Now if there were only manfacturers of these 82% efficient cells:
http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=4,445,050.WKU.&OS=PN/4,445,050&RS=PN/4,445,050

At the time they were invented (1981) the technology to make them cheaply didn't exist ... but I believe it may now. It basically needs a modern chip fab.

It seems to me, given the current theories on evolution that if a photosynthesis type cell were meant to fly there'd already be lots of flying plants around. :)

Then again, they said something similar about Man flying too (if Man were meant to fly, he'd have wings by now). I love reading about solar powered planes. Thanks for the original post, and the followup links to the patent database. That was really very cool reading!