Dave-
I found that a blade from a vertical blind works well too.  Its wider, giving more to grab onto.

Kristopher
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 6:17 PM
Subject: [RCSE] Layup Tool

Maybe this is already well known but ...

If you hang vinyl min-blinds (1" or larger), save the extra vinyl slats. Or go buy the cheapest set you can find at Wal-Mart. Or just sneak a test strip out of that set in the family room.

Cut the slats into about 6 inch sections and you've got a really great spreader for resin fo bagging wings. Round the cut edges with fine sandpaper a bit so they won't grab the cloth.

The normal curvature of the vinyl slat is great for spreading-smoothing the resin and cloth. Wipe it off with a tissue and pull out as much resin as you want. Toss 'em away with the cup, scrap cloth, etc.

My old spreader broke while starting a job last week and this solution works better expected. Beats an old credit card by a long shot.

- Dave R