There has been quite a bit of analysis on what is the optimal angle on Hand Launch gliders for max altitude. Everything points to 90 degrees as soon as possible out of your hand as the optimal for maximum height.

I wonder why that is not the same with 3 meter planes.

I zoom at 60 deg if I need to get some where quick or punch through a headwind to some wave lift. Most the time my zoom is greater than 60 deg, closer to 80.

Steve Meyer LSF IV SOAR