--- "Stuart A. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeff Gortatowsky wrote:
>
> ... snip a great contest story ....

> Jeff, those landing results sound outstanding for a newbie flier!  (I
> should know, I am working from upgrading from newbie to intermediate
> status myself).

Thanks... but a correction, it was just -fun- flying... not a contest. If it
had been a contest, I'd have landed in the next county over everytime! :D And
I did missed some completely.

SWSA is a club in Southern CA with many friendly competitors so even fun
flying brings out the landing tapes. And why not? After all, if you are going
to fly, even for fun, you might as well shoot the landings as practice.

Know what I find in my limited (VERY VERY LIMTED) experience? I have to fly a
smooth pattern or I am hosed. I have to make my turn on final and be
'reasonably lined up'. If I have very few corrections to make, I can really
zone in on the glide path. Especially with the spoilers. But if I have to
make more than a few minor corrections to line up, I am all over the place
and will lose enough energy to fall short or wander way off to the sides.
Guess that is one of those 'masters of the obvious' paragraphs huh?? :D

I was thinking though as I was in the shop the last few hours, maybe my
landings would have been WORSE with a skeg? I am not sure now. Obviously
without one, every landing but the one 80 point one was a 'slide to a stop'.
There was one I buried the nose in the soft turf (rained like hell here a few
days ago). But I don't want to make that a habit... its a wooden ship. I need
to pay more attention to where I touch down and see if maybe I'd be better
off leaving well enough alone...

As for LSF... no I have not joined yet. I guess I've been putting that off.
But from what I read here, it's not something one rushes through anyway. :D

Thanks and best wishes...
Jeff

=====