While on the subject, what is a good trickle charger and where can one be purchased? Are there plans available from which I could build my own?

Thanks.

RVC

At 07:49 PM 10/31/2004 -0800, you wrote:
Be sure to bye the Wal-Mart deep cycle marine battery not the standard car or truck battery. I have been using their largest, I believe it's the 29 series (210 reserve amps), for 5 years. They have a smaller 24 series that is 110 amps. The charger is the EverStart for Boating/RV. It is a Fully Automatic/Manual Battery charger and rated at 10 amps. It says it's for 12 volt Marine/Deep cycle batteries but it works well on any battery and is stable enough to be used as a 12 volt DC power supply.

Maurice
----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart A. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 6:37 PM
Subject: [RCSE] Recommended inexpensive 12v battery charger

I am putting together my first winch. I'll be using a Walmart standard battery to power it and need to purchase a charger. There are all kinds of lead-acid battery chargers at Walmart. Unfortunately my regular fast charger for my NiCads won't handle lead-acid, so I need to buy yet another piece of equipment! :)

Are there things I should look for when looking at the various chargers? I think the common brand is Schumacher and there are usually 3 - 5 different models on the shelf. I was looking to spend $50 or so.

Thanks in advance!
Stuart