On 11/4/04 8:14 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Also keep in mind that the EOS body will accept the full line of EF-series
> lenses with a lens factor of 1.6 - e.g. if you have an existing 300mm it now
> looks like a 480mm. Makes it handy for switching back and forth between film
> and digital bodies.

Sort of. This is a common misunderstanding of the crop factor of many
digitals SLRs with less than full frame sensors.  The crop factor does NOT
turn a 300 mm lens into a 480 mm lens. What it does do is give you the 480mm
field of view when you have the 300 mm lens on.

This is less of a big deal at the telephoto end of things. It is a very big
deal for folks (like me) that like to do wide angle stuff. My Canon 10D (1.6
crop) gives me the field of view of a 25 mm lens when I have my 16mm lens
attached.

It is not magnifying the image, it is cropping it to the equivalent of the
longer lens field of view.

> Either way, a 300mm zoom is a reasonable minimum for good field shots. We've
> used both an image stabilized and non-stabilized 300mm and I'm not sure image
> stabilization is all that handy for most of our launching, landing or field
> shots. It will slow down the shutter response time. A tripod or monopod may be
> more useful. Multi-frame is a must - 2.5/s is OK, 4/s would be nicer. 6MB
> format is really handy.

I like the IS on my 100-400L lens. I do sometimes use a monopod for fast
shots. Most of my glider shots are done with the 100-400 freehand with IS
on.

Take a look at this site:

http://www.flyingcirkus.com/default.asp?content=home

Another shot

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfiles/98986/Pn36591.jpg

The third image down on the main page is a web version of an image I
captured at the Tucson Shootout recently. The plane is a 38% Extra (123 inch
span) in high speed knife edge flight. Taken freehand with the 100-400,
shutter priority mode with a shutter speed of 1/640. I was panning to follow
the plane. IS was definitely ON!!