Dave,

We use a 34"x78" steel table with a linoleum type top surface which we picked up second hand from an insurance office. Steel legs and steel I-beams hold the surface flat and twist-free once you get the table set up properly on your floor.

Several pieces of 2x4 under the legs raise the table to a comfortable building height - we have ours set at 35", about the height of kitchen counters.

A couple of plastic six-socket strip electrical outlets are held in place below the work surface by self-threading screws which go into the table side beams after pilot holes are drilled. These screws lock into the keyholes in the back of the strip.

A large piece of glass (sliding door) was placed on the table surface so that any remaining small undulations disappear. It exactly fits the table width, but extends over one end about three inches. We backed the table end away from the wall and then mounted a wall hanging bookcase slightly above the surface. We can use the whole table, and the bookcase not only holds items we frequently use but also protects the overhanging glass.

We use a large piece of ceiling tile as a building surface for laying out the lower surface of the wing skeleton directly over plans. We then remove the ceiling tile and lock up the D-tube, spar caps, etc., using the glass surface to hold everything in perfect alignment.

The 34" width has been wide enough for all of our aircraft, even the big XC Blackbird. We don't walk around it much, but it's set up so we can easily do so.

Steel tables come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Ours has a single shallow drawer in one side, but we've seen them with double drawers on one side, drawers on both sides (partners' desk layout), and of course teachers' desks with the large drawers in pedestals on each side of a center opening. Older teachers' desks have a spring-loaded platform which was to be used for a typewriter, but a drill press or small table saw could be a logical replacement. The deeper file size drawers can be used for smaller tools like Dremels, heat guns, etc. The shallow drawers hold screw driver sets, cutting blades and other small tools. There are a wide variety of sectioned plastic drawer organizers available through kitchen shops and generic hardware stores. Measure the desk drawers and then pick and choose from what's available - a good fit is nearly always possible.

There are a number of used office furniture outlets in the Seattle area and the surrounding areas. If you know what you want, you can call around and compare prices.

Another consideration is lighting. We use incandescent and halogen, but stay away from fluorescent. We've been told by a number of woodworkers and millworkers that fluorescent lights can be downright dangerous when working around any tool that rotates. We also find that fluorescent light is tiring to work under. In addition to track lighting above the work surface, we have two "detail" lamps on hinged arms which we can use to direct light onto specific areas, as when working on servos or establishing a tight glue joint.

Hope this helps!

I'm looking to invest in a new building table, but am curious where to
go to get a decent one.

Many of the standard tables I see are only 30" deep.  Perhaps two of
those together is good?

Anyway, any ideas or suggestions you have would be great.
-       Dave

-- B^2 B2Streamlines.com Bill & Bunny Kuhlman 'a resource for aircraft modelers' [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] P.O. Box 975 http://www.b2streamlines.com Olalla WA 98359-0975 USA RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News. Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off.