Since the A4 was released, the charge protocol for NiMH has changed
significantly to better represent the characteristics of the cell chemistry. If
memory serves (I owned one, then ditched it) only the peak overvoltage was
dropped by a few mV as compared to the NiCD algorythm.

The current accepted regime for NiMH is similar to:

Stage 1:
Charger algorythm applies a zero (slope) delta, essentially turns off the
charge phase as soon as the fully charged state is reached (based on a V value,
no overcharge above rated V). This brings the cell to ~80-90% of rated capacity
(this value will decrease the more current pushed into the cell, as the rated V
is reached sooner with an elevated charge V)
Stage 2:
Same charge current (or another lesser rate) is pulsed (duty cycle) to bring
the cell >95% of rated
Stage 3:
Maintenance rate - same charge current (or another lesser value) is pulsed
(shorter duty cycle) to maintain a fully charged state.

The above applies to NiMH cells used for normal(?) operation, as opposed to
propulsion applications (F5B, etc).

Radius Systems
Cogito Ergo Zoom