Update on the foam 'worms' question raised several weeks ago. Many helpful
hints were posted and most have been run to ground. The problem is definitely
in  retreat so it seemed appropriate to share what's been learned.

One source  of the problem appears to be defects in the foam - either
inherent or introduced  by me in handling before bagging. When coupled with
vacuum
above ~ 15in Hg, the  surface of the foam appears to collapse slightly along
sinuous tracks, primarily  in the spanwise direction.

Keep in mind that this observation is limited to Foamular 150, which has a
rated compression strength of ~ 15psi.

Thanks to Phil Barnes for noting  that baking the wax probably wasn't the
root cause. I've gone back to a single  wax application with no deliberate
delay
before bagging and the release is just  fine and the 'worms' appear to be
relatively unaffected. Subsequent evaluations  indicate the initial favorable
outcome was fortuitous.

After following  the method in Phil's video in detail, the problem persisted.
The one exception  I'll note is I mix the epoxy while standing but I doubt
that's it.

I'll also suggest that using anything less than 4 mil for the release  behind
the breather is not a good idea - too easy to wrinkle. Those wrinkles  don't
get through the mylar but it's easier to work with 4 mil or thicker  anyway.

I'll also note that working with anything but 3M77 is a pain -  especially
when setting up the breather. Photo-Mount adhesive doesn't have the  tack and
Elmer's spray contact doesn't do much of anything at all. Go with the  good
stuff.

Suggestions about epoxy mixing and keeping the layup dry were  evaluated. No
problems there. The layup was so dry that you couldn't really sop  anything
out of it anyway.

The breather arrangement was worked over some  more. As noted, the method in
Phil's video is a lot easier than laying down the  layers separately. But all
breather arrangements seemed to give about the same  result.

Layups were tried with the beds inside and outside the bag. No  difference.

I took a sample to the recent KCSE 'Turkey Fly' (pctures  posted on their web
site, by the way: http://www.kcse.us/). Jim Frickey  suggested the tracks
looked a lot like problems he had with defective foam when  he was bagging a
few
years ago with Mark LeVoe. Pat McCleave took a look and  thought that might be
it as well.

So we tried a third batch of foam - and  had the same problem. Following the
thought that this was mechanical damage,  older samples were hit with a heat
gun and all the 'worms' popped back out. Now  I've got all these great looking
samples but still lacking an appropriate  solution!

Meanwhile, lurking in the corner of the basement is the old CST  Mighty
Mini-Vac which pulls ~ 6in Hg. A vague memory stirs about using this  level of
vacuum for white beaded foam and obechi and anything higher would cause
damage.
Hmmm.

Bottom line - after two cycles of DLG wings with the Mighty  Mini, I've got
two of the most gorgeous sets wings I've ever made. No  worms, no dents, no
errors.

I'll allow as how I may have gotten lucky but  one of these wings has the old
foam in the root and the new foam in the tip and  both sections are in great
shape.

So a potential solution is excess  pressure for this foam. It is possible -
maybe even likely - that some of this  may arise from handling, especially when
de-fuzzing the surface while prepping  the cores. However, a very close
inspection of the cores after sanding does not  show any obvious dents on the
surface. If it's handling damage then it's  incipient until enough pressure is
applied to stress concentrate the weakened  foam in that area.

A trial was run (at 20in Hg) in which no attempt was  made to clean the core
surfaces before layup. It had 'worms' also. Another was  run with typical
handling and sanding but 6in Hg - no worms.

As soon as I can get to Tulsa and get some 25psi Dow or Owens product,  we'll
try it again with full vacuum. However, from others' experience, and the
comments in Phil's video, this should be successful.

Regarding Foamular 150, full vacuum is right at the compressive strength of
this material. Partial vacuum may be within the variability of the strength of
 this material in localized pockets. But one result here is that using 6in Hg
or  thereabouts seems to take care of this problem with this type of foam.
Since the  core weight is not a large part of the final wing weight, the only
reason to use  150 is that it's the only thing readily available at hardware
outlets like Home  Depot (at least in this part of Oklahoma).

Thanks for many suggestions from many folks. If this observation is
significantly at odds with other experience, I'd appreciate comments.

- Dave R

PS - One solid conclusion - the vacuum bagging process as taught in Phil's
video is incredibly robust.