I wonder what part of the country you are in and whether there are any
prominent DLG flyers near you. It would be very interesting to see if you
are indeed throwing harder/faster than the current top DLG flyers. Your
description of proper discus technique sounds very similar to most of what
the DLG community has concluded as being good DLG technique.

I would suggest posting your Photon question/experience in one or more of
the groups that specialize in DLG flying;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SALglider/messages
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96
Perhaps you can confirm whether there has been a problem with the Photon
wing tip and maybe hook up with a local DLG guy who can work with you and
see if we can learn something about discus throwing from a real discus
athlete. It would also be interesting to put an aileron DLG model in your
hand that has withstood the abuse of a top DLG guy and see if you can throw
the wings off of it.

Phil