I can't imagine why anyone would bother pirating plans since authentic
copies are not exactly expensive. I can only imagine that they're
obselete -- out of print articles, that sort of thing -- and they're put out
in case someone was interested.

I'm not condoning this, though. Its wrong to improperly profit from other
people's work, IMO, even though its a common enough practise. (I think the
biggest offender is sheet music -- you take something someone composed a
couple of hundred years ago, add a couple of tempo marks and copyright the
thing anew.) It would help if people who have published plans in the past
either put them in the public domain or out under one of the licencing
schemes that are used for things like open source software. They have no
commercial value but they're part of our collective historical record and
making them available not only preserves that record but makes it impossible
for someone else to reinvent them and claim the work as original.

Martin Usher

[I think the current policies of publishers that are geared towards opaque
media and restricted access will wreak enormous damage on our culture.....a
new Dark Age. Very little that we create is truly new, nearly everything is
derived from something that came before and we should admit this rather than
trying to convince the world (and ourselves) that we're really that clever.]