I use the Windtronic 2 shown in the link below. While it is more costly than some of those being discussed, I find it to be an excellent design, and has a quality look and feel. With the vertical axis rotating cups, it is independent of wind direction. On many others, the rotating impeller has a horizontal axis, making them very sensitive to orientation and changes in wind direction. Got mine through Glidetek, run by a fellow club member here in MN.

http://www.glidetek.com/accessories/windspeedcomputer.asp

The Windtronic reads in mph, knots, km/hr or meters/sec, and provides a readout of instantaneous speed, peak speed recorded, and average speed of the period that it is turned on. On a slope soaring trip to South Dakota in September, I recorded average speeds over several minutes in the 55 to 65 mph range at various times on the lip of the slope, and gusts of over 80 mph. (Sideways to the wind, feet spread. knees bent . . . .still get blown away in the gusts) The specs say it reads to 93 mph, so I doubt that you will run out of operating range.

-Ben