I've been using cheap hair spray for years. I especially like using it on all my paper pattern. It's best to do this after your patterns have been pasted down to your pattern material. The spraying of the patterns should be done before cutting your patterns. The spray really helps protects your patterns long after they have been pasted up. One another thing, be sure to write all your notes on your patterns before spraying them. I suggest using two to three very light coats of spray making sure each coat has thoroughly dried before applying the following coat, and then lightly kiss your patterns with 600 sand paper. This will assure you'll have great patterns than will last!

Krs

To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 7:34 AM
Subject: [RCSE] Re: Question for Modelers Familiar w/Shellac

Jim -

I haven't used shellac to do this, but I have achieved some pretty light finishes.

I use hair spray for the initial coats. Get the cheapest large aerosal cans you can find. Fog a few sparse coats on, sanding very lightly with 400 grit between coats. You only need to knock down the stickups. If you keep the initial coats light and let them dry well you won't hurt a foam wing, and the weight buildup will be minimal.

After you get the wood sealed with hairspray go ahead with the waterborn poly. I like to wipe it on with an old t shirt or a foam brush, keeping the coats thin and many.

happy trails - Roob Glover

As a woodworker I haven=B9t used but read about shellac as the sealer/under
coat for wood finishes. Shellac is accepted as a good barrier against wate=
vapor, but not liquid water, and any finish will stick to it well. So I
thought it might be a very good under or only coat for balsa tail parts on
HLG=B9s etc. Don Stackhouse of DJ Aerotech describes the use of water born
(not a solvent in this case) polyurethane and that care must be taken to ge=
a very thin first & later coats. One reason for that would be the fact tha=
wood so readily absorbs water then changing it=B9s dimensions due to swelling
of the wood fibers. Don's main goal seems to be to limit weight added
though.

Have any of you tried shellac, which uses alcohol as its solvent? I am
wondering if a 3 pound cut, for example, would penetrate less than a 1 poun=
cut. [Shellac is mixed as x pounds of flakes to 1 gallon of alcohol. N.B.
you must use de-waxed shellac if you intend to over coat it with any other
finish.]
--=20
Jim Holliman -- Tulsa, Oklahoma