Dave,
You remember the event correctly but not the pilot. That was none other than my old buddy Bob Gerbin. You may remember Bob for the picture in Model Builder with the double size scale and Windfree he built with it. Bob learned the tough way about keying a pre molded surface before bonding. That whole right wing just kind of peeled off and left those two spars sticking out in space I can still see that transparent yellow wing turning and twisting in that thermal as it disappeared over the hill at SULA. If I recall correctly that was the same contest that Terry Koplan asked for a reflight because the winch which had one of those resistors on the bottom, I think it was HiFlight, set the grass under it on fire during his launch. I remember flying Blaine's prototype down at the Blimp station. He told me to have fun with it, it will do 60 but 70 is probably to much. Kind of like walking your best friends girlfriend home, you definitely watch how far you push it. I flew a Mirage and found it a nice lightweight airplane. I used to latch the towhook on some light weight mono and walked backward letting the line off the reel while I flew it in figure 8's I had a good time sitting in the grass winding that Mirage up like they do with stunt kites now. It was and is a nice model. You guys flying the light weights might want to take up some tap dancing or blues tapping to get that rhythm down for winch pulsing. Happy Holidays Larry