Well, memory serves but only partly. With input  from a couple of guys who
also witnessed this event at SULA (thank you all for  the corrections and the
memories), the Mirage with carbon spar caps was NOT Don  Edberg's. Apologies to
Don (who has written and flown great stuff over the  years). I'll leave the
corrected name out for reasons of liability!

However, it was a pretty spectacular event!

That said, the Mirage  is one of the neater ideas that came along in that
era. Blaine did a great job  with the basic concept and added a number of
innovative ideas to enhance the  overall design.

At the time (my opinion only) there were three developing  approaches to
thermal soaring.

One of them was traditional - the  Paragon, Oly IIs, Windrifter, etc
ultimately leading up to the Sailaire. Big  floaters with lots of area and high
lift
(Clark-Y ish) airfoils.

The  other was the concept Blaine was developing - light wing loading, not
very high  aspect ratio, and a lower camber section that could float and cruise

nicely.

The third was Hi Johnson's - very high aspect ratio and wing  loading with
high camber airfoils to carry the loads.

All worked in their  own way.

Interesting to observe that all of these were displaced by  composite ships a
few years later. Technology does make a difference and can  alter the
landscape very quickly.

Nice to see some of these designs  coming back. They were neat ships that
worked well.

Apologies again to  Don.

But if you've gotta crash, please do it in a spectacular manner. I  do my
best sometimes but, other than looping my Albatross around the left wing  on
the
power lines at Pasadena a long time back, nothing particularly memorable  of
late. Jeff N's 'extreme verticality' landing at the NATS a few years ago was
certainly notable.

Merry Christmas to all.

- Dave R