> But are the RF Synthesizers really the same as using a specifically
> tuned module and crystal?  Names like "dial-a-crash" and
> the like come to mind.

The Futaba module shown on the Web site is like the Hitec Spectra module --
you alter the frequency using small rotray switches to set the channel
number. These switches are (on the Hitect) placed on the back of the module
so they're not accessible once the module's put back into the transmitter.

When I first got one of these modules I thought that there would be a front
panel control for the channel -- "dial a crash" -- but Hitec had obviously
thought this one through.

The only concern that I have is those switches. I'm familiar with this type
of switch and they're just not designed for frequent  adjustment (they're
like crystal sockets, BTW). So anything other than occasional adjustment of
the channel is likely to make them unreliable. You also have to look closely
at the settings -- the slots tend to widen out with use so its very easy to
accidentally set the channel to one adjacent to the one you were going for.

Martin Usher