Sadly, this past August, Schweizer Aircraft has been sold to Sikorsky
Aircraft corp. This, ironically following the death of Paul Schweizer,
one of the founding brothers. Paul did not live to see the deal
consummated, and perhaps it is just. He was the visionary, the practical
engineer, and the guiding light of the company well into his 80's. I am
privileged to have known him and count him as one of my mentors, and a
friend. He was 91 when he died. Paul heavily supported out efforts to
organize the Elmira Aerotow events 1997-2000. Some of you may remember
his presence at every one along with his wife Ginny. We always lamented
the fact that their where so few examples of Schweizer models at our
events. When ever one showed up, Paul would eagerly walk over to the
owner and chat with him about the history of whatever specimen it
happened to be. We even offered a static award for the best Schweizer
model in attendance to encourage more Schweizers.

Too bad Tom was not making kits then.

It is truly an end of an era. Schweizer continues to manufacture their
stealth reconnaissance planes, RPV helicopters, and manned helicopters
under their own name for the time being.

John D.

Endless Mountain Models
http://www.scalesoaring.com