Jon,
Excellent comments to be sure,
What you offer is a sound analogy that, as far as I am concerned may apply also to the MPX Line of radios.
Having owned Hi end Futuba, JR, Airtronics, and now MPX, the conclusion that I come to is about the same as your, and I would offer the same advice.
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
  • All radios have their Quirks
  • Review a manual if possible before the purchase
  • Someone else's Diamond just might end up being your junk, so take all the data that you get from all the people, and treat it as such.. data ..not gospel !!
  • Remember, many people are Biassed for any number of reasons.
  • When you make the purchase, Resolve yourself to LEARN the product, Do not trouble you hobby dealer with a return, because you can not figure out how to re-center the servos in an existing project.
Its always a pleasure, to read you !!
Thanks
Jack

At 01:38 AM 1/9/2005, jon stone wrote:
Let's go over some of your items:

> I've been using the Stylus for a few years now and was wondering how
> the 9303 compared.  I like several things about the Stylus, but there
> are a few I don't:
>
> 1.  I think the camber setup is confusing

I don't know what you mean.  I find it very straightforward.  I used
the GLID card, which can make all the difference.

> 2.  I don't like the way you have to reset the timer.  It's not
> practical for the quick turn-around DLG launches.

The 9303 is about the same.  If you are careful, you could do it
quickly, but still might require 2 hands.

> 3.  It's heavy (although for DLG, it exercises both arms)

yup.

> 4.  If you select wing type after you've done some programming,
> everything is reset

All the computer radios I've ever owned (4) acted exactly the same
way.  This is a fundamental setup you should do almost before anything
else, when starting a new model.  As many of the menu options offered
you may change completely as soon as you select a wing type.

> The things I love about the Stylus are:
>
> 1.  The ability to change channels with the modules (although they're a
> little expensive)

Same (at least legally) on most other high end radios.

> 2.  The ability to fly on both positive and negative shift

Only Airtronics, Multiplex do this to my knowledge.   They are not the
market leaders, so they have to play with everyone else.   Not sure on
any Hitec TX's.

> Anyway, I've read some of the literature about the 9303 and now that
> they're in the hands of the consumers, I'm curious how it stacks up to
> the Stylus.

Investing your time, money, and effort into a new TX is a personal
choice.  And a pretty serious one for most of us.   I suggest you read
the manuals for the 9303 and see if it will meet your needs.    They
have a nice tutorial (addendum) at the end of the Sailplane manual
walking you through the steps of setting up a full-house glider with 3
flight modes.

The complete manuals are online at Horizon.  The issues you have with
the Stylus listed above are pretty minor, in the big scheme of things.

Niether the Stylus nor the 9303 are perfect radios.  There are little
things that are quirky about each transmitter, IMHO.  The sad part is
most of them you can't figure out until you've actually played and
flown with the radio on a real glider.  :)
RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL are generally NOT in text format

Jack Strother
Granger, IN

LSF 2948        LSF Level V #117
LSF Official 1996 - 2004