>I have been under the impression that a thinning
>of the section and a slight increase in camber as you
>progress out to the tip was preferred.

There's no unique way to do this.

I normally set a combination of taper and aerodynamic twist (i.e. washout)
to give a good cl safe distribution in a trimmed sustained slow turn,
and also in a fast upwind dash.  Some tradeoff decisions are needed here.
In the slow turn one can use a very broad tip with no twist, or a highly
tapered tip with lots of washout twist, with the same cl distribution.
The slow-speed case favors lots of taper and twist, while the high-speed
case favors little taper and twist.  An intermediate compromise choice
is often effective.

Also, poly, 2-servo, or 4-servo wings will differ substantially here.
Poly (RES) and 4-servo (TD) wings generally want significant washout
twist in the intermediate panel, while 2-servo wings (DLG) can get by
with much less washout.  For the 4-servo wing, the amount of washout
also depends on the amount of aileron->flap linkage.

Then I pick or design airfoils to match the cl range and Reynolds number.
This usually means a reduction in thickness and a slight reduction
in camber towards the tip.  Some iteration with the specified cl,
planform, and twist distributions may be needed.

At the end I set the geometric twist as the sum of the earlier specified
aerodynamic twist and the airfoils' zero lift angles.  For building
convenience I round off the twists to the nearest 0.5 degrees or whatever.