A couple of our club members have ICOM IC-R2 hand-held receivers. These cover a very wide spectrum -- 500KHz to over 1GHz -- and because they're receivers they help you identify the interfering signal.

The problem with scanners is that our 72MHz signal gets attenuated rapidly in built-up areas so a model transmitter's reported strength will drop off to unnoticeable after just a couple of streets. This means that you could easily get knocked out of the sky with a signal that just didn't show up on the receiver. The only way to fix this is height.

I have been experimenting with an active antenna for these receivers. Its used for Foxhunting, a hobby where you have to go and find hidden transmitters. Its highly directional so the plan is to use it to trace interfering transmitters. It works well but we've had no chance to try it out recently for real since the band's been clear. (The interference is lurking out there, though. I finnally spotted what I was looking for last weekend -- helecopters. I thought this might be going on, we needed someone using R/C that wasn't using a large open space and only flying in calm weather. I spoke to this pilot who told me about the other fliers in the area, there's a bunch of them and none seem to be aware of other R/C activity, clubs, AMA or anything like that.......)(He was flying a 40 sized helecopter by himself........)

Martin Usher