Harley Michaelis has designed a really light horizontal stab for the Genie and Genie LT/S. I'm sure the design wouldn't be too difficult to work out on a T-tail, you'd just have to incorporate a control surface because the Genies' tails are full flying.

    Dan

----- Original Message ----- From: Thomas Koszuta
To: RCSE
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 3:00 PM
Subject: [RCSE] Pondering T-tails

Ever notice that almost all sailplanes and commercial jets have T-tails. I have. I think that they are the sweetest looking things ever put on sailplane. (The pictures of the Diana just brought this to mind.)

 Pros:

Look REALLY cool.
More Efficient (anyone have the numbers of how much efficiency gain there is?)

 Cons:

     Heavy - require more nose weight
     Fragile - more moment to cause damage

 Other things I've been pondering:

Are they less affected by downwash changes with flaps or spoilers?
Any real slick ideas for making them really light to improve dork tolerance and overall abuse resistance? Breakaway bolts?

Tom Koszuta
Western New York Sailplane and Electric Flyers
Buffalo, NY