There's another carbon product you might consider - Jim Marske* sells
"Graphlite", a very high modulus carbon (rod, rectangle).  I had a scale
builder recommend it, and it's pretty great.  I bought a roll of it
(like working with spring steel), and I've been using it for a couple
years now.

Cuts with a dremel, doesn't require any prep before bonding.  You could
use this in place of your spar, just add a good web and wrap along the
length with kevlar or dental floss.  Also, since it's so
'unidirectional', it splits very easily with a chisel for smaller spars.

This may not help you here because of the size difference (difficulty in
matching to the notches in your ribs), but it's a good thing to keep in
mind for later.  It's relatively cheap, too - I bought a 100 foot roll
for around 80 bucks.

Good luck,
Brent

* home built sailplane manufacturer