From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Jul 23 12:51:06 2004
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:50:05 -0000
From: markdrela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Chamfered Mylar leading edge - helps wrap around

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Cliff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Did I read a post that someone is beveling the leading edge of the 14
mil mylar used for bagging?
If that person will please step forward and say how they are
bevelling the leading edge on the mylar, I and most of the folks here
would probably like to hear about, and whether it helps with the
little leading edge issues.

Yes, it lets the Mylar follow the curvature closer to the LE.

One way to make the bevel is by scraping with a blade, with the mylar
sitting on a hard metal or glass edge. A box cutter is easier on the
fingers than a single-edge blade. Works OK for small tail mylars.
For large mylars I use a Dremel carbide bit, set up over a steel plate
like a minature angled planer. The shavings make a mess, since they
tend to static-cling to everything, so prepare work area accordingly.

My bevels are 1/4" to 3/8" wide, tapering to maybe 0.005" thickness at
the edge. This is hard to judge while scraping, so some sort of edge
thickness stop made from shim stock may simplify the job. Haven't
tried that yet.

The thread continues with more hints and opinions.

I scaped my own mylars with blade and it was easy to do.

I think that the SuperGee thread in RCGroups Hand Launch forum also had some pictures about this method.

Also a technique for notching the mylars around the tip contour for better fit there as well.

I would like to get reference to this one too.

Arne