****
In a message dated 1/25/2005 1:07:30 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Dave. . .there is no need to slit the Mylars to get a  smooth tip. Go to page
24 of File 3 of the Genie pages  http://genie.rchomepage.com/ to see how the
Icing putty can be used to form  a tip that looks integral to the rest of the
bagged wing.
****

Harley,

Thanks. As always a very useful and elegant  solution.

These wings are not for routine use but are simply for flight  evaluation for
polars. Consequently, popping them out of the bag with minimum  work-up
afterwards is handy. They're unpainted - one of a kind each. They are  each
used
maybe a dozen times or so and then hung on the wall. Probably about 10  in all
if things go according to plan.

The project has evolved from some  ideas floating around from back in Blaine
Beron-Rowdon's time. The recent  development of flight data recorders is the
enabling technology.

Using  an Eagle Tree Systems recorder, we've been flying an NACA0009 airfoil
on a 2M.  Recording airspeed, altitude and time base allows derivation of
velocity and  sink rate - the essential data for a polar. Setting up the flight
profile for  about 30 to 60 sec of straight flight from a 400ft or so launch
gets a good  evaluation of the selected condition. Working through about 8
elevator trim  settings gets a reasonable outline of the polar.

The NACA0009 really stinks as a thermal airfoil. The abrupt stall in the
polars is real. At low speeds it just quits flying. However, it's a great
baseline case.

A number of 'techniques' have been learned as well as the  pros and cons of
the recorder. Graduating to the 'Seagull' telemetry system from  Eagle Tree
will be a big help. They are also working on a modified unit that  will be more
specifically tuned to sailplanes. That's still being prototyped.  Those tests
should start in about a month (after Phoenix).

The data from  the NACA0009 suggests that the current polar model I'm using
is optimistic for  parasitic drag. However, I had thought that the estimates in
my model were  conservative - guess not.

The kids I've been working with already have  the Science Fair part of the
project done so I'm now free to take this wherever  I want - and I want more
airfoil sections of good quality but with a minimum  amount of work. Thus the
emphasis on a 'quick and dirty' construction  technique.

If a preferred planform/aiirfoil comes from this, I'll make it  pretty. Doubt
it could ever be as pretty as the Genie work but I've found that  after I fly
something for a few months it gets mighty uglified  anyway.

Reports will be in my RCSD column in a few months. The Eagle Tree  folks have
been super in helping out with questions. The FDR is a very  impressive unit
- probably got about 50 flights on it so far and the information  it provides
is very interesting. Gotta squeeze one into a DLG  someday.

Thanks,

- Dave R