Spencer,

This is a noble goal.  When we have given a demonstration at a local school,
or when kids come up to see what we are doing it's amazing what the first
question always is:

"How much does it cost?"

It's too bad that all the subtler aspects of the hobby are lost if the first
answer scares them away.  I've also found that those who are interested find
the hobby rather than the hobby finding them.  I think all of us in the
hobby have a fascination of flight in our blood.

The other day at a contest an Osprey flew over the field.  They're rare
around here.  Virtually everyone stopped to watch.  It was the field topic
of conversation for the next 5 minutes.  Like I said, it's in our blood.

I think all the educational lessons you mention are valid.  I'd like to hear
how others put on demonstrations.

JE
--
Erickson Architects