Well it turns out Ed was not considering ripping off Multiplex, but he,
I think, naively thought Hitec would let him make it here while
multiplex makes it Germany.
Anyway you are partly right, but it all depends on where and how you
make an ASW-27. For example if you own proprietary tooling and someone
makes a new tool from a positive from your molds, that's infringement. I
know of a case where in the Czech republic customs seized molds made
this way by an unscrupulous Dealer.

 The slightly altering and renaming goes on all the time with non scale
stuff and why it is useless to try to copyright a fun fly airplane,
reference the Zagi, look at all the look alike forms of that one.
Laws vary in different parts of the world.
JD
Endless Mountain Models
http://www.scalesoaring.com