Because everyone has the expectation that they will max and the bigger ships make it easier.

Or everyone is getting older and can't see as well any more ;-)

Or everyone is obsessed with having a bigger .....

Stuart A. Hall wrote:
We have Jeff saying "Friends don't let friends fly 2M" and Howard heralding the death or exclusion of 2M from the Nats. Why is this? I am just curious, and have no vested interest since my primary plane is 115" Marauder RES, why we no longer have the Open class and folks want to get rid of 2M?

Howard Mark wrote:

WHEN 2M dies, it's death will be mourned quite publicly by the few and cheered in private by the many.
Once again the powers that be have forced the many to to their will by sticking 2M in the middle of the week; instead of on one end or the other. If they had the guts to do that - they would soon find out how few really value that class - and replace it with something more popular.
My $0.02