Break out the sandpaper.

A few years back I bought a BOT from a clubmate.  The fuse was all balsa,
glassed and painted with *four-and-a-half* coats of krylon. (two coats of
primer, two coats of white, one-half coat of yellow trim & speckles)  The
rudder was solid balsa, and was glassed & painted in the same fashion as the
fuse.

It was very pretty, but weighed a ton.  3/4 of a pound of lead was needed in
the nose - in addition to a big battery.  All the radio gear was shifted as
far forward as possible.

I removed the rudder, framed up a new one of 1/8" balsa and covered it.  I
sanded the fuse back down to the fiberglass and repainted it with a single
light coat of white.

The plane now weighs a full pound less than it did before.  I was even able
to remove most of the lead from the nose.

 -==- Barrett